A Compilation of General Voyage Notes
"EIGHTH COMPANY. -- Rochester, 130 souls. Tuesday April 20th, 1841, Apostles Brigham Young, Heber C. Kimball, Orson Pratt, Wilford Woodruff, John Taylor, George A. Smith and Willard Richards and family went on board the ship Rochester, Captain Woodhouse, at Liverpool, bound for New York, with a company of one hundred and thirty saints. Captain Woodhouse delayed his sailing two days, to accommodate the Elders.
The Rochester sailed on the twenty-first and arrived at the quarantine ground at New York May 19th, after a toilsome passage. At one time she was beset with head winds and a tedious storm, when the Apostles united in prayer, in answer to which the storm abated, the sea became calm, and the voyage was continued with rejoicing. On the twenty-eighth of April the ship encountered a tempest, shipped a heavy sea in which Apostle Woodruff got thoroughly drenched, while Willard Richards escaped under the bulwarks.
The Rochester arrived at the dock in New York about four o'clock p.m., on Thursday, May 20th, but the passengers were prevented from landing by the carters and rowdies until late in the evening. Such was the confusion in New York at that time at the arrival of a ship, steamboat or coach, that strangers were led to suppose that the city was without mayor, marshal, police or any other officer to keep the peace.
The company remained in New York until the fourth of June, when the journey was continued, under the direction of Brigham Young, Heber C. Kimball and John Taylor, via Philadelphia to Pittsburg by railway and canal transportation. They traveled on what was then called the swift line, for which they paid fourteen dollars for each adult; the slow line carried passengers for nine dollars. After staying four days at Pittsburg, they set sail on the steamboat Cicero, June 12th, and after having proceeded about fifteen miles the boat ran on a sand bank, where it was detained three days; in fact the boat ran aground several times, the water being very low, and the passengers were three weeks on board before they arrived in Nauvoo. The weather was also extremely warm. Apostle Kimball, in a communication to the Millennial Star, advised future emigrants to come by way of New Orleans, on which route the accommodations would be better and the fare less, and he also recommended that British Saints should sail in the cool part of the season.
The company finally arrived in Nauvoo July 1st, 1841, and was met on the river bank by about three hundred Saints who had come down to meet the new comers. A greater manifestation of love and gladness had perhaps never been witnessed among brethren in this dispensation than that which was exhibited on this occasion when the Prophet Joseph met his brethren of the Twelve, whom he loved so dearly. Joseph was the first person on board the steamer which brought the company in and gave the immigrating Saints a warm and hearty greeting."

"Wed. 21. [April 1841] -- Apostles Brigham Young, Heber C. Kimball, Orson Pratt, Wilford Woodruff, John Taylor, George A. Smith and Willard Richards sailed from Liverpool, England, on the ship Rochester, accompanied by 130 Saints. They arrived at New York May 20th."

Autobiography of Edward Ockey
     I was born in the Parish of Bishosfroom, in the country of Hereford, England on the 27th day of February 1816. My father’s name was John. My mother’s name was Elizabeth. When I was about 7 years old my father moved to Castle-froome, the adjoining parish, where we lived until my mother died about six years later. My father died, I was about 23 years old. I had lived with my father from the time I was born till he died. They had a family of 12 children, 8 sons and 4 girls. I was the 10th child and the 7th son. When my father died he left me in possession of the farm. I lived there until 1840 when I heard the gospel of Jesus Christ preached by Elder Wilford Woodruff and I was baptized in August. Embracing it I had much opposition while I remained there but in August 1841 I left my native land and brothers and sisters which then numbered 7 besides myself (5 boys and 2 girls). My sisters one of them, (Ann) had been baptized accompanied me to Liverpool where older one (Elizabeth) was baptized by Elder J. [John] Taylor, but both went back and left the church. We came through Worcester where my brother William lived. He was very sick in bed, having fallen off a load of hay and had broken two of his ribs. When I went away from his bed he jumped up and followed me to the office where we were going to take coach. He appeared a great deal better. We went to the railroad station where we took the cars for Burmingham, then to Liverpool the same evening and took lodgings for the night. We were 7 in number, a brother by the name of Fido [John Fidoe] and his wife [Lydia] and a young man by the name of [Edward] Chamberlain that had lived with my father and me a good many years. I paid their passage to America. When morning came we went in search of some of the twelve apostles. We soon found Brother Woodruff and Brother Brigham Young and several others and took fresh lodgings and made arrangements for a passage to New York and on the 20th [p.1] of April we set sail on board the Rochester in company with 7 of the twelve apostles, name Brigham Young, Heber C. Kimball, Orson Pratt, John Taylor, Willard Richards, Wilford Woodruff and George A. Smith. There were about 200 saints on board. My two sisters went back, myself, Miss Eliza Brewer, John Fido [Fidoe] and is wife [Lydia] and E. [Edward] Chamberlain pursued our course onward for Nauvoo, the home of the Saints. We had tolerable good passage excepting one rough storm which tore away some of the sails, filled the deck with water and such little things. We arrived at New York 28 days later where I got married to Miss Eliza Brewer.
     After touring for a few days we started again for Nauvoo via Pittsburgh where Brother Brigham Young, Heber C. Kimball and John Taylor (three of the apostles) overtook us and took passage on the same boat for Nauvoo. The water was very low and we had a tedious time going down the Ohio River but we all arrived safe at Nauvoo on the first day of July. The Prophet Joseph Smith met us at the upper landing. We met some of our old acquaintances from England which made our hearts glad and we had a time rejoicing. . . . [p.2]
BIB:      Ockey, Edward. Reminiscence and journal, (Ms 11746), pp.1-2. (HDA)
Autobiography of Thomas Quayle
     . . . After waiting two weeks at Liverpool we went aboard the sailing vessel Rochester bound for New York. It was on that ship I first saw Brigham Young. He used to come through the crowded mass of people in the hold speaking kindly and fatherly to us. Everyone aboard the ship worshiped and obeyed him. I could see why father had been unable to resist his appeal. He was a huge man, broad shouldered and stout. With a masterful air he stood among his followers. Most of the time during that journey he spent preaching to us. His was a firm belief in the direct revelation of this New World religion. So sincere and honest was he in his belief that he inspired the same sincerity and honesty in the belief of his followers.
     Most of the passengers were sick during the voyage. Mother was so ill that she had to be moved from the steerage to a small cabin on deck and, although she did not retain the little food she tried to eat, she survived the journey. Little baby Joseph died in brother John's arms. I was not seasick but the skipper showered me with so many nuts and raisins that I have never been able to eat them since. We stayed in New York a short time and then took a steamer up the Hudson for Albany. From there we went by canal boat to Lockport where father got a job at his tailoring trade. While John and I were playing on the boats there, I fell into the canal. I came up between a barge and the landing and crawled out with a resolve not to try boating again. But we were [p.491] at it the very next day and while playing with a piece of a log John fell in. He kept grabbing for the log but it turned with each grab and worked farther and farther out towards the middle of the canal. I yelled wildly for help and a man came running out of a warehouse, jumped in and saved John, who was a pretty wet boy but not as scared as I was. He told us that he wasn't afraid of drowning because the wooden Indian in Liverpool had told him that the Indians in America would kill him. We soon afterwards moved on to Buffalo where we took a steamer over the Lakes for Chicago, a mere village of four thousand then. We camped with our luggage near the wharf. I remember Mother placing three of our chests side by side to raise our beds out of the reach of snakes.
     We hired a teamster to take our goods from there to the Illinois River. The Illinois Railroad was just being built then. While crossing the new grade I fell off the side of the wagon box where I was sitting, against father's strict orders, and landed right under the hind wheel. A large boulder lifted the wheel so that it passed over without hardly bruising me, but I was a good boy for the rest of that trip. We took a steamer down the Illinois River to the Mississippi and up that river to Nauvoo. . . . [p.492]
BIB:     Quayle, Thomas, Our Pioneer Heritage vol. 16 (1973) pp. 491-92. (HDL)
Journal of George A. Smith
     . . . Monday, April 19. Spent the day in packing up my things and taking leave of the Saints. In the evening I attended council and Elder Willard Richards and myself gave much instruction to the elders.
     Tuesday, April 20. Went aboard the ship Rochester and left Woodhouse for New York. President Brigham Young, Heber C. Kimball, Orson Pratt, Willard Richards and family and Wilford Woodruff in company. We all look forward to the time when we shall arrive home with much pleasure, and hope that the poor Saints in England, whom we regret leaving behind, may soon follow us to Zion. [p.215]
     Wednesday, April 21. Set sail and put to sea.
Arrival at New York
     Thursday, May 20. Landed at New York in good health and spirits.
     Friday, May 21. Wrote a letter to my father and George W. Gee.
     Friday, June 4. Left New York for Heighstown by rail, parting with Elders Brigham Young, Heber C. Kimball and John Taylor, who proceeded on their journey home. I met Elder Erastus Snow, who carried Elder Reuben Hedlock and me to New Egypt, and while on our journey we were upset in our carriage and a wheel ran off.
     Saturday, June 5. Met Elder William Smith and Brother Winchester at a wood's meeting. I preached in the woods to a small assembly.
     Nauvoo, Wednesday, July 14. Visited Bathsheba W. Bigler. . . . [p.216]
BIB:     Smith, George A., “My Journal,” Instructor 83:5 (May 1948) pp. 215-216.
Journal of Wilford Woodruff
     . . . Truly the Lord hath been good unto us all during this mission & given us all things we needed for which blessings I feel offer up the gratitude of my heart to my Heavenly Father.
     Seven of the Twelve with 120 Saints & 160 other about 280 in all got our baggage on board of the ship to set sail, but the wind being contrary we staid on shore.
     20th April 1841 I went on board of the ship Rochester in the morning in company with Elders B. [Brigham] Young, H. [Heber] C. Kimball, O. [Orson] Pratt, W. [Willard] Richards, W. [Wilford] Woodruff, J. [John] Taylor & G. [George] A. Smith of the Twelve. R. [Reuben] Hedlock High priest 120 Saints, 160 of the world 20 of the crew, 2 mates (porter & steward) Captain Woodhouse, 1 carpenter, 1 cook, 2 stewards asking 307 souls in all. We took the parting had with Elders P. [Parley] P. Pratt & O. [Orson Hyde] Hide & a multitude of Saints who stood upon the dock or quay to see us start. [p.92]
     We drew out into the River Mercy & cast anchor in sight of Liverpool & spent the day & night. It was with some difficulty that we could get the baggage stowed away so that we could make our beds. However we lay down & slept well.
     21st Wednesday The wind is favorable & we are all very busy in nailing down & lashing our baggage to prepare for sea. The anchor was hauled up & sails spread at 12 o’clock & started on our voyage.* * We had a good breeze through the day but most all the passengers were seasick & stacked up in heaves & vomiting at a dreadful rate.
     We had a room built for our quorum in the second cabin. The second cabin was mostly occupied by the Saints the steerage by other passengers. Fare was £3.15. We were allowed the privilege of the aft quarter deck. The Rochester is a fast sailing vessel of about 1,000 tons.
     We passed by all the ships that went out of Liverpool at the time we did. Among the number was the “Oxford” of the line the one that we sailed to England in 1840.
     22nd We arose quite weak by vomiting & sickness. It is a pleasant morning. We are nearly out of sight of land but 10 sail are in sight of us. I went among the sick passengers & got them out of their births on deck to take the air. Elder G. [George] A. Smith was quite sick with a severe cough through the night.
     23rd Cloudy & some rain. Contrary winds.
     24th It commenced at midnight to blow a gale. All head wind. It blew away our fore topsail. We were all dreadful seasick. I could not get out of my berths all day. It was a distressing time to us all.
     25th Sea mountains. High head winds. Ship [p.93] rocking & pitching dreadfully. All seasick. I spent some of the day on deck. I was faint. I only eat two baked potatoes in two days & that I soon vomited up. I spent a sick night which was the case with most of us Sunday.
     26th Monday We got a little food in our stomachs & got on deck. Vary feeble in body. I never felt worse in any sickness. Was thankful that my wife & children was not with me to share in such sufferings.
     The sun is pleasant today. We have still west head winds & rough sea. There has been some fears that several children would die on board being vary sick. We got together & prayed the Lord to have mercy upon us all & spare the lives of our company, & the sick began to amend. Truly we have perils by sea as well as by land.
     *Two years ago this day the Twelve held their conference on the building spot of the
house of the Lord in the city Far West on which occasion I was ordained to the quorum of the
Twelve in company with G. [George] A. Smith & we started on that day to take our foreign mission & thank God we are now on our return home & are still alive & through the mercy of God are like to live. * * We had a still night.
     27th Wind still blows. The Saints are some better. The Twelve are generally well & very patient well united & agree in all things & love one another. I visited the sick & got them on deck.
     28th This was a day that caused many mixed sensations of pleasure & pain grandeur & solemnity hope & fear to many. To me it was a day that satisfied mine eyes in many respects.
     When we arose in the morning we still found strong head winds which soon increased to a great storm & tempest which scenery I have not language to describe. The sails were close reefed or taken in as soon as possible. It took 16 men to close reef [p.94] the main top sail. The tempest was now raging with all power the sea piling up into mountains, the ship mountain the waves & billows & pitching into the valleys & rocking tremendously & shipping seas occasionally.
     In the midst of this scenery the cry of help was herd in our cabin. I rushed to the scene & found the ropes giving way & breaking which held the whole mass of baggage which was piled up between decks, consisting of heavy trunks, chests, boxes & barrels which if once liberated from their Confinement would with one surge be hurled with all their force into the births of the men, women, & Children which would endanger the lives of all.
     On seeing the foundation of this mass give way Elder W. [Willard] Richards & myself sprang to this place of danger & braced ourselves against the barrels & held them for a few moments until it was a little secured. I then went on deck to the captain & informed him of the situation of things below & he sent the sailors with some ropes & secured the pile which was endangering the lives of many.
     After this was done I again repaired to the aft quarter deck to behold the raging of the tempest & the wonders of the deep & the movements of the ship which was the greatest scenery I ever beheld upon the water. Elders Young, Kimball, Richard’s & Smith was with me on deck for a time but all had now gone below except Elder Richards & myself & the officers & crew. We were shipping heavy seas.
     It was now about sunset. I stood in the middle of the aft quarter deck holding the captains speaking trumpet in one hand & holding to a fast bench with the other when we shipped a tremendous sea on the windward side of us which passed clear over the quarter deck on which I stood. On seeing that we could not escape it Elder Richards flung himself close under the bulwarks & the body of the wave went clear over him without wetting him but little. But as I could not take the same advantage I flung myself upon the deck & held upon the fast [p.95] seat where I remained until the sea passed over me & left me drenched in the surge.
     I now thought it time for me to leave my seat of observation for the day & go below as I was thoroughly wet with salt water. I went to bed but did not sleep but little for the ship rocked at a dreadful rate. Boxes, barrels, & times were tumbling from one end of the cabin to the other. And in the steerage about 15 births were flung down 9 at one surge with all the men women & children flung into a pile in the midst of the berths but no lives lost or bones broken. This is the 8th day in succession that we have had strong headwind.
     April 29th Sea very rough after the gale. The sun shines pleasant, & we have a fair wind for the first time since we left Liverpool. We sail 10 knots an hour. There is one sail in sight of us. A pleasant evening wind aft. Nearly all the canvass spread. I had a good nights rest.
     30. A fine breeze from northeast. Sail 10K not an hour. Fears were entertained that the ship was on fire as smoke arose from the holes but it was found to come from the cook shop. I was requested to carry the dishes to the cook so I got my hands full of dishes of various kinds & I just as I stepped to the door of the cook house the ship gave a dreadful surge & rocked so that she lay upon her side with her stud sails in the water. This unexpected surge plunged me head foremost about 10 feet the whole breadth of the cook shop against the side of the cook room with the cook [on] top of me. As this was my first introduction to the cook since I had been at sea I begged his pardon for such an abrupt entrance, & withdrew leaving the cook with three smashed fingers (caused by trying to save me in the fall) to pick up my dishes at leisure which were scattered from one end to the other of his shop. I hope it will be a long time before I shall pay the cook a similar visit. [p.96]
     We sail exceeding fine & have now for 3 days. The passengers are over their seasickness & feel cheerful.
     May 1st A fine beautiful pleasant May’s morning. A fair northeast wind or light breeze. Water smooth. We have 19 pieces of canvass spread. A jib, flying gib 8 pieces upon the foremast 5 upon the main mast & 4 upon the mizzen mast including the spanker. It was truly a beautiful sight. There is two sail in sight. We sail 12 knot an hour. We feel well & are much prospered.
     2nd A strong favorable wind. Some cloudy. We sail 12 knot an hour. We overtook & passed a brig to the windward of us. We sailed nearly 2 miles to her one. We saw a fin back whale come out of water several times about 20 rods from the ship. We are drawing near the banks of Newfoundland. Sunday.
     3rd Cloudy. We have a calm but sail about 3 knots an hour. In the evening a good wind northeast. Sail 12 knots an hour.
     4th A clear serene May’s morning, the most pleasant we have had on the voyage. The water almost perfectly smooth. A calm. Hardly air enough to move a sail. The captain sounded for bottom but could not find it. We are spending the time pleasantly. The captain took the names, ages, & occupations of each passenger in order to make out a correct entry when he arrives in port.
     5th We have a warm pleasant morning but almost a dead calm. We sail about 2 knot an hour. They sounded but could not find bottom. We saw a large school of porpoises to the north of us.
     Elder Peter Maughan lost a child this morning 6 weeks old. His wife dies a short time before he set sail. The body of this child was committed to a [p.97] watery grave by sewing it up in a cloth tying a stone to it & sinking it in the sea on the banks of Newfoundland in latitude 42.25 longitude 50.10.
     We had a very chilly fog in the evening.
     6th The wind has changed to the . We have a light breeze. Sail 8 knot an hour. We passed a full rigged ship in the evening. Wind Changed to the northeast. Sail 12 knot an hour. All the Saints on board are well except Sister Richards who is still feeble. We enjoy ourselves well. We sing & pray with the Saints morning & evening. I never enjoyed myself better with the Twelve than about these days. Union prevails among us & we dwell together in love.
     7th Wind southwest head wind. It is still vary foggy. We are in latitude 42 longitude 55 making 3 hours 28 min from Liverpool making 945 miles still to sail to New York 810 geographical miles.
     A vary hard storm arose in the evening from the southwest The Sails were taken in. The heavens gathered blackness, the sea rolled into mountains, & the captain looked wild. In the midst of this there was a fight between the cook & the Irish, which was stopped by the first mate who interfered. We had the roughest night at sea which we have seen since we have been on the voyage. The spars & other things were afloat on the main deck.
     8th Fair weather but high head winds from the southwest. Sea rough. We shipped some heavy seas. One sail in sight. The captain had his had blown into the sea while taking observations with his quadrant. We have passed two sail today.
     I had a long conversation with the second mate in the evening whose name was Steward. He gave me a rehearsal of his sea faring life for 20 years which was interesting. He had sailed twice around the world been within 14 degrees of the south pole, had had his vessel blockaded by floating mountains of [p.98] ice nearly a mile high for many days, which icebergs frequently come in contact with each other which makes a report like an earthquake or peels of thunder. He has crossed the pacific several times visited the East Indies & China & says in all his sailing he has never found a worse sea or ocean for storm than the Atlantic, in the Liverpool & New York trade. After conversing several hours I retired to my berth & had a good nights rest.
     9th Sunday Strong north wind. Very Cold. Sail 12 not an hour towards New York. The coldest day we had on the voyage. The wind went down with the sun. I walked the deck in the evening with O. [Orson] Pratt & conversed about many things among which was the subject of the death of Elder David W. Patten & writing a history of his life. We are within 15 degrees of Long [POSSIBLY LONG ISLAND] of New York.
     10th A fine pleasant morning but a calm. We paid our cook bill to day which was £0.10 half a sovereign each. I paid Elder Young £1.10 and Elder Kimball £2.8 shillings which made a settlement of all our affairs.
     Elders Kimball, O. [Orson] Pratt & myself undertook to climb the rigging of the ship. Elders Kimball & O. [Orson] Pratt went up to the round top of the main mast about 50 feet & returned. I climbed over the round top & went up to the main top gallant sail about 100 feet from the upper deck which was the top of the rope ladders. I could go no higher without climbing a single bare rope so I returned to the deck. I found it required some presence of mind & caution to go up & down the rigging of a ship as she was waving in the air. We had a calm night.
     11th A strong west head wind but warm. We sail 9 not an hour to the north. We passed a full rigged ship standing the same way that we were. We have sailed by every ship that we have some in sight of since we left Liverpool. [p.99]
     12th Still head wind. Fair weather but cool. We passed by a ship this morning. Ho!!! Ho!!! Captain Woodhouse proclaims land in sight over our windward stern in the north west which proved to be Cape Sables of Nova Scotia Coast of Halifax. We soon saw it with the naked eye. This is 21 days sailing.
     13th A perfect dead calm. Sea smooth still cloudy. We had head wind in the evening.
     14th A calm. We are perfectly still. I commenced reading the History of England by the rev John Adams AM 1803. We are in Latitude 41, Longitude 67 from Greenwich & 7 from New York being 365 miles from New York.
     15th A pleasant morning. A light breeze from the southwest Sea perfectly smooth. We sail 4 not an hour. We saw a school of Mackerel. I walked the deck in a calm Serene evening & had some pleasant meditations concerning the past, present, & future.
     16th Sunday A light west Breeze. Sail 4 not an hour. We saw a top sail schooner to the east of us probably going to Boston. We sounded & found bottom in about 20 fathoms on Nantucket Soundings. Sail 8 not in the evening.
     17th A strong west head wind. Run 8 knot an hour to the northwest We are now getting into great danger of shoals & bottoms as wind is against us we can only about hold our own. The sea is much chopped this morning. Appears some like Lake Erie.
     We came in full view of Long Island at about 3 o’clock p.m. A pilot boat hove in sight & made for us. About the same time a French sail to the leeward of us raised her flag & made for the pilot boat. We took our pilot on board at 4 o’clock. We soon came in sight of 5 sail. We kept in sight of Long Island during the evening. Our pilot informed us that he had not heard from the “Oxford” or any ship that left Liverpool at the time we did & even for several days before. So we had made the best voyage [p.100] of any at this time of sailing. We had not heard from the steamship “President” but expected she was Lost. Wind went down in the evening.
     18th A strong northwest wind. Sail 9 knot an hour. No land in sight. I had the perusal of a New York paper which informed us of the death of General Harrison, President of the U.S.A. He Died on the 4th April 1841 just a month after taking the Presidential Chair. This is the first president that has died in the U.S.A. while filling that office.
     We came in full view of the Jersey shore & 10 or 15 sail in the afternoon. I felt to rejoice to once more behold the America shore my native country after being absent from it 16 months. We had a view of Barnagar Lighthouse as we passed along.
     19th I went on deck at 4 o’clock in the morning to see them go through. We had head wind & had to beat through which made it dangerous. We passed through the hook. Run into a fishing smack. Came near sinking her with all on board. We had a view of the horse shoe and all the light houses as we passed along we saw 50 fishing smack waiting for bait. We raised our flag on the top of the main mast. Having head wind we could not run in. We got within 4 miles of the quarantine ground & cast anchor at 11 o’clock.
     A steam boat came along side & took the Liverpool papers containing the latest news. The editor paid $45 dollars for the steam boat to bring him down to the ship to get the news.
     We have been 29 days from Liverpool to our casting anchor this morning. We raised our anchor in the afternoon & went in with the tide on to the quarantine ground & again dropped our anchor.
     The physician came on board searched the passengers & found them well. But we shall be quarantined until tomorrow. Now is the time we need much patience & long suffering in bearing one with another in taking our baggage going through the [p.101] custom house & getting settled in New York. The captain went onshore at night.
     20th Warm pleasant weather. We commenced early in the morning getting our baggage on deck. Passengers went to washing & cleaning up. It was a very busy time. There was a fight between the carpenter & second made which was ended by the first mate who bruised the carpenters head badly by striking him with a junk bottle.
     Two quarantine lighters Came along side of the Rochester & took off all the passengers & baggage & took us all to the custom house. Here we had to unload all the baggage which were examined by the custom house officer & out of 300 passengers we were not charged duty for the first article.
     We had to load every thing again on board of the lighters who took us to New York City & when we arrived at the docks we found them covered with horses & drays & about 50 drayman who stood ready to leap on board & devour all our baggage & because we were not willing to have our things stolen from us & be defrauded out of our rights but felt disposed to do our own business without being forced to measures by carman. They cursed & swore at a dreadful rate & appeared more like cannibals than civilized men. But after much trouble & difficulty we got our good out of the lighters & loaded them on to drays & constantly had to keep a guard over them to keep them from being stolen. We were until 10 o’clock at night getting off the docks to an inn, where we spent the night.
     I was the nearest tired to death by fatigue & labor that I ever was in my life, for I was continually loading & unloading boxes chests, barrels & trunks from sunrise until 10 o’clock at night, without eating or drinking.
     I took a hearty supper about midnight & lay down in a room where there was two children expected to die hourly. I did not sleep a moment. Arose in the morning & again commenced carting baggage.
     I truly felt to rejoice to once more step upon [p.102] our native shore. I thank God for sparing my life & giving me such a blessing. We spent the night at the Battery Pavilion. Distance from Liverpool to New York is .
     [May] 21st We paid our bill & took locations in different parts of the city. Elder George A. Smith & myself took up our abode with Elder L. R. Foster who appeared glad to see us & made us welcome. I also was privileged with an interview with Messrs Ezra & Ilus Carter by brothers-in-law also Dr. Charles Fabyan. I send a bundle to Phebe by Ezra Carter. I was truly glad to see the face of my friends & the Saints once more. . . . [p.103] [ELDER WOODRUFF SPENT THE NEXT FEW MONTHS MEETING WITH THE EASTERN SAINTS AND VISITING WITH HIS FAMILY, BEFORE PROCEEDING ON TO NAUVOO.]
     . . . Sept. 9th received of Wilford Woodruff 15 Books of Mormon bound on calf $1.50 cents each $34.50
4 Ditto bound in sheep $1     4.00
28 Millennial Stars bound $1 each     28.00
     The above is to be paid to Wilford Woodruff when called for or the Books returned.
L. R. Foster
     After laboring exceeding hard through the day I took the parting hand with the Saints at 186 woster & other places, & started for the <[steam?]> boat Sanduskey. Ilus F. Carter carried me to the boat with 533 lbs. of baggage. We got Blockaded in the street on the way which made us trouble & detained us, but after much perplexity we got on board of the boat at 6 o’clock & departed for Albany on our road for Nauvoo. Our little company of Saints consisted of 6 persons viz. Willford & Phebe W. Woodruff, Henry H. & Mary Moore. Mary M. Wheeler & Mary E. Nelson. Sister Wheeler had 60 lbs. baggage.
     I found on looking over my expenses including all I had paid out while in New York was $88.36.
     After getting under way & arranging matters I being very weary I lay down & had a comfortable nights rest. [p.124]
     10th I arose some unwell in consequence of the labor yesterday. Found myself at west point. It is a pleasant day. We spent the day pleasantly. The land present quite an interesting and romantic scenery from New York to Albany.
     11th Arrived in Albany this morning being one day & two nights from New York about 36 hours when the regular time of steamboats is 12 hours. The cause of this delay is taking so many boats in tow. Inform Dr. Bernhisel that it would be wisdom for the Saints to take a steamboat that will come through in 12 hours to Albany, if the luggage is no more than what the captain will carry for it is better to give $1.50 cents to Albany in 12 hours than 50 cents in 36 hours & pay $1.50 cents for board during that time. Also inform the Saints not to pay through at the Commencement but from place to place & that at the end of the journey which will save emigrants from much insult & some expense. There is nothing gained by dragging out a long time on tug boats & slow lines. Distance to Albany 160 miles.
     11th We made an agreement to go to Buffalo on the New York & Buffalo line, Erie Transportation Company. Name of boat “C. M. Reed,” Captain Lines. We are carried for $2.50 each allowed 100 lbs. baggage each person & pay 45 cents per hundred for all extra baggage. Had good boat & accommodations. Just as we got ready to put out who should come on board to go to Nauvoo but a Mr. Roberts who a short time since came near upsetting the whole church in New York by giving way to the power of the Devil and whole church into the same spirit which brought great reproach & injury upon the Saints in that city. I was sorry to see him & did not wish his company but I feel dispose to get along the wisest way I can in all such cases. We left Albany at about 8 o’clock & arrived in Schenectady in the morning.
     12 Sunday We tarried in Schenectady until 9 [p.125] o’clock. Received an addition of several passengers & proceeded on. We passed Rome during the night. In the evening we sung a few hymns & as soon as we closed Mr. Roberts broke out in a tremendous noise which he called tongues. I reproved him before the whole company for his folly & impoliteness. His conversation had been such that the passengers would form an idea that he was in part a representative of the Latter-day Saints. I wished to change that idea in the minds of the company for it was false. He was not a member of the Church.
     13th I spent the day in reading the 1st volume of Incidents of Travels in Central America Chiapas and Yucatan by John L. Stephen’s, author of “Incidents of Travels in Egypt, Arabia Petraea and the Holy Land,” illustrated by numerous engravings in two volumes. I felt truly interested in this work for it brought to light a flood of testimony in proof of the Book of Mormon in the discover y & survey of the city Copan in Central America, a correct drawing of the monuments, pyramids, portraits, and hieroglyphics as executed by Mr. Catherwood is now presented before the public & is truly a wonder to the world. Their whole travels were truly interesting.
     14th Our babe was quite unwell with the bowel complaint,. I continued reading Stephens travels & felt highly interested in them.
     15th I wrote a letter to Brothers Azmon & Thompson W.
     16 I pursued the 2nd volume of Stephen’s Travels in Central America Chiapas of Yucatan & the ruins of Palenque & Copan. It is truly one of the most interesting histories I have ever read.
     17th We arrived in Rochester this morning & spent several hours there. Phebe & Sister Nelson visited the Rochester Falls. * [p.126]
     18th We got into Lockport in the morning. I dreamed of seeing many snakes last night. Enemies are at hand from some quarter. I left Lockport in the morning at 11 o’clock in company with Mrs. Woodruff & Brother and Sister Moore. Took the rail cars & rode to the far famed Niagra Falls. It was truly a splendid & magnificent sight. We went over Goat Islands. Descended 100 steps. Went under the falls. We had a good view of them.
     We went on to the monument. We here had a view of the ship “Detroit” that fought in the battle of Lake Erie on the 10th Sept. 1815 & was set afloat with all her sails set in order to sent her over the falls and dash her to pieces. This was done by the Americans on the 15th Sept. 1841 three days before we were there but she lodged in the rapids & did not go over the falls. Her sails, mast, rigging, & bulwarks were all gone. Nothing but her hull left when we saw her.
     After spending 2 hours at the falls, we too the railroad to Buffalo, & spent the night. The boat containing our freight & [child?] & the rest of the company did not get in until in the morning. Distance from Albany to Buffalo is 365 miles.
          Expenses for myself & family as follows:
          fare 2.50 each          5.00
          533 lbs. freight     1.50
          for provisions          2.12
          passage on railroad from Lockport
          to Buffalo via the falls     4.50
          sundries          5.31
                    total 18.43 cents
     September 19th Sunday We unloaded our freight from the canal boat onto the steamboat “Chesapeake” bound for Chicago. We paid our fare & took tickets. I paid for myself & wife. We took steerage passage which was $20.00 $10 dollars each. Cabin was $20. We had a good state room for our families.
     20th We spent the day in Buffalo. We made preparations to cross the Lakes to Chicago. [p.127]
     21st We left Buffalo at 11 o’clock & arrived at Cleveland in the morning.
     22nd Elder Henry Moore & wife stopped at Cleveland to spend a little season in Kirtland. We spent about 2 hours in Cleveland & continued our journey. * Had a storm in the night & cast anchor & spent the night in Detroit River.
     23rd Spent 2 hours in Detroit. I went through various parts of the town it being the first time I ever was in the state of Michigan. It cleared off this morning & we had the sun again.
     24th We passed through St. Clair & St. Clair River & Lake Huron to Mackinaw Straits. We tarried here an hour. Saw many Indians who catch many salmon trout in these straits which is the best place for trout in America. We bought a number of them that would weigh 6 or 8 lbs. corned for 6 cents each. We had a rough night in Lake Michigan. ()
     25 A very rough morning. All sea sick. We stopped at Manitou Island. Cooked dinner on land & lay by the wharf until 4 o’clock & started on the journey until 12 o’clock at night when a which made the lake as rough as it could be by the force of wind & such a scenery as quickly followed I never before witnessed in all my travels either by sea or land or water or earth. The captain of the Chesapeake, with other officers, hands & passengers mostly expected to go to the bottom to have judged from outward appearances. I should think here was twenty chances of being lost to one of being saved. Yet I did not once expect during the whole scenery to be lost for I expected & felt that the Lord would save us from a watery grave by some means.
     We were about 40 miles from land at about 12 o’clock at night when I was awoke from a sound sweet [p.128] sleep in my berth by the cry of someone saying we shall all be lost. The first thought that entered my mind was I make no calculations on being lost. I however leaped out of my berth onto my feet & went on to the upper deck. I immediately saw we were in eminent danger of being wrecked. The wind blew almost a hurricane & the waves were running over her bow in a dreadful manner. The boat was rather heavy loaded.
     There was about 300 passengers on board with a large quantity of luggage & jack asses. Some geese & pigs were standing on the bow of the boat. Next to them was 50 cords of wood piled up. This with other loading kept the bow down in such a manner that it was judged there was 50 tons of water on her bow deck at a time. At one time the bow run under water & some thought she would never right.
     One wave that broke over set the asses afloat broke the petition between them & the steerage cabin & washed two of the asses down. Threw [them] into one of the berths among men and women and children. It killed one of the asses in the fall. The asses & water together drove all the steerage passengers out of their cabin on deck.
     About this time while the boat was laboring hard against wind & water she broke one of her wheel chains. I then heard the cry all is lost. But about 30 of us passengers caught hold of the two detached ends of the chain & held them together until they were mended with ropes.
     The boat lay partly upon her side. It tore up the floor & broke down the berths in the steerage state rooms opposite of us & we expected every moment outs would share the same fate. In one instance the waves broke over the upper deck. It took four men to manage the wheel. They tried to turn the boat three times but could not until daylight when it was accomplished & returned to the Manitou Island at about 3 o’clock being about 24 hours in the gale.
     They again took on 40 cords of wood as they had flung 20 cords overboard in the storm to lighten the bow of the boat. Orders were given to that effect. [p.129]
     We remained at the Manitou Island until next morning. I felt thankful to god to once more get my foot on land. I felt that the lord heard our prayers & delivered us. There was praying, crying, singing & swearing at the same time in the midst of the storm. It was a trying time to all.
     26th Sunday morning Turned back for the Island. Reached [it] at 3 o’clock & remained until morning. Was thankful to once more set our feet upon land.
     27th Monday Left Manitou Island at 7 o’clock to try again to go to Chicago. The wind soon arose & we had a rough sea. We stopped at Milwaukee & left about 75 passengers & much baggage upon a small sloop toting upon the waves in a dreadful manner. No boat had been to them for three days, in., the hand on the boat. Whether the passengers ever got to shore I know not.
     28th We passed by Rhacene & arrived in Chicago at 1 o’clock & truly rejoiced to get on shore. We put up for the night at the Illinois Exchange by J. Brown. Recommend friends there. Their was 50 teems in the wheat. We saw two families from England. Got two teams to carry them to Stephenson on the Mississippi River. The whole distance we came from Buffalo to Chicago is 1,047 miles.
     29th I hired Mr. J. B. collins of Princes Grove, Illinois to carry me & Sister Nelson & my family & 800 lbs of baggage to Nauvoo for $21.00 or $2 dollars per cwt. Mr. Sidney Roberts engaged a man to carry him at the same rate. We loaded our baggage & left Chicago at 10 o’clock. Had a very bad road first 12 miles. Rode 27 miles & spent the night at Mr. Gates [-] Inn. 27 m.
     30th We rode 33 miles. Passed through Naperville, Cain county & Kendle co. & spent the night at the Inn of P. F. Hummel De Kalb county. 33 m. [p.130]
     Oct. 1st We crossed the Sammonook River, Indian Creek. Passed by Paupau Grove a 12 mile prairie in Ogle County. Spent the night at Roth’s Inn/Greenfield/. Distance of the day 38 mile. From Chicago we passed the Desplain River Brush Hill, east branch of the Dupage, west branch of the Dupage, Fox River, Blackbury creek Little Rock Creek, Big Rock Creek, Smmonock River, Big Indian Creek.
     Oct 2nd passed through Dover, Princeton County seat of Beureau Co. Crossed Beureau Creek, Indian town & spent the night at Mr. John A. Griswold Inn Boyd’s grove. 33 m.
     3rd Sunday Rode to Camping Grove. Crossed two 12 miles prairie & arrived at Mr. Collins home at 2 o’clock. His wife & family appeared glad to see him. By request I preached in the evening at the house of Elder Phineas Brunson. The people gave good attention. I spent the night with Brother Brunson & my family with Mr. Collins. 25 m.
     4th We parted with Mr. Collins & family & continued our journey with his team attended by Brother Amos Brunson. Rode from Princes Grove & Princeville. Crossed spoon river & spent the night at Knoxville county seat of Knoxville County at the house of Mr. Amos Stodard. His wife & mother were Saints. 30 miles. WE stopped & picked up ½ bushel of crab apples. There was many bushels in the orchard.
     5th We passed through Colebrook & called at Monmouth Bathed our horses & had an interview with Mr. Albert Scamman from Monmouth County seat of warren. We rode crossed the south fork of Henderson to Ellisson Creek and spent the night with Mr. Nathaniel Master. 38 miles.
     6th We rode to Hopper’s Mills. I there had an interview with Brother Haws who informed me that the conference in Nauvoo was passed so we had missed the privilege of attending it. I felt sorry that we [p.131] could not have got through in time. We rode across a prairie & came to Nauvoo.
     It gave me peculiar feelings to once more enter this city after being absent more than two years. When I left there was not more than a dozen houses in the town but now there was several hundred. We passed by the temple as we passed along and had a view of it.
     Soon called at the house of Elder Young & spent the night with him. He was sick. Elder Kimball was with him & also Elder Richards. W laid hands on him & he soon recovered. I saw many of my old friends & acquaintance & friends are dead & quite a number among the English emigrants; Elder Kington’s mother & wife, Elder Glover & many others. Distance of the day 35 m. . . . [p.132]
BIB:     Woodruff, Wilford, Wilford Woodruff’s Journal, vol. 2, ed by Scott G. Kenney (Midvale, Utah: Signature Books, 1983, pp. 92-103, 124-32. (HDL)
Manuscript History of Brigham Young
     April 15.–[1841] Elders O. [Orson] Pratt, W. [Willard] Richards, George A. Smith, Levi Richards and myself, having bid the Saints in Manchester goodbye, went to Liverpool, and arrived in time to attend a teaparty at the Music Hall, where 200 Saints were seated at table together. I addressed the meeting a short time, and was followed by several of the Twelve. At the close of the party the Twelve met a few moments, and agreed to sail on Tuesday.
     --18 (Sunday)--We met with the Saints in Liverpool, and the Twelve occupied the day in preaching and bearing testimony to the people.
     --19--We spent the day in getting our baggage on board, intending to draw out into the river, but the wind being unfavorable, we remained on shore.
     --20--Elders H. [Heber] C. Kimball, O. [Orson] Pratt, W. [Wilford] Woodruff, J. [John] Taylor, George A. Smith, W. [Willard] Richards and family, myself and a company of 130 Saints, went on board the ship Rochester, Captain Woodhouse, at Liverpool, for New York. We gave the parting hand to Elders O. [Orson] Hyde and P. [Parley] P. Pratt, and a multitude of Saints who stood upon the dock to see us start. We drew out into the River Mersey, and cast anchor in sight of Liverpool, where we spent the day and night.
     It was with a heart full of thanksgiving and gratitude to God, my Heavenly Father, that I reflected upon his dealings with me and my brethren of the Twelve during the past year of my life, which was spent [p.96] in England. It truly seemed a miracle to look upon the contrast between our landing and departing from Liverpool. We landed in the spring of 1840, as strangers in a strange land and penniless, but through the mercy of God we have gained many friends, established Churches in almost every noted town and city in the kingdom of Great Britain, baptized between seven and eight thousand, printed 5,000 Books of Mormon, 3,000 hymn books, 2,500 volumes of the Millennial Star, and 50,000 tracts, and emigrated to Zion 1,000 souls, established a permanent shipping agency, which will be a great blessing to the Saints, and have left sown in the hearts of many thousands the seeds of eternal truth, which will bring forth fruit to the honor and glory of God, and yet we have lacked nothing to eat, drink or wear: in all these things I acknowledge the hand of God.
     --21--The wind is favorable; busily engaged nailing down and lashing our luggage to prepare for sea. The anchor weighed and sails spread at 12 midday. We had a good breeze through the day, but nearly all the passengers were seasick and vomited at a dreadful rate. The Twelve and the Saints occupied the second cabin, other passengers occupied the steerage. The fare was £ 3 15 shillings
     The Rochester was a fast sailing ship, about 900 tons burthen, and passed all the ships that went out of port with us, among which was the “Oxford” of the Black Ball Line.
     --22--Many arose quite weak through vomiting and sickness. [p.97] Pleasant morning; nearly out of sight of land; ten sail in sight. Elders Kimball and Woodruff assisted me in getting the sick passengers out of their berths to take the air. Elder George A. Smith was quite sick with a severe cough.
     --23--Cloudy and some rain; contrary winds.
     --24--Commenced at midnight to blow a gale; head wind; blew away our fore-topsail; all very seasick.
     --25--Sea mountains high; head wind; ship rocking and pitching; nearly all seasick.
     --26--We partook of a little food this morning, but were weak and feeble. We still have head winds and rough sea, though the sun shines. We met and prayed for the sick and they began to amend.
     --27--Still high wind; the sick somewhat better; the Twelve are generally well.
     April 28--Strong head winds, which increased to a tempest. The sails were close reefed, the tempest raging furiously, sea running mountains high. We shipped heavy seas, and, while in the midst of this scenery, the cry of help was heard in our cabin; we rushed to the scene and found the ropes giving way and breaking which held about 40 tons of luggage, piled up between decks, consisting of heavy trunks, chests and barrels, which, if once liberated from their confinement , would with one surge be hurled with great force into the berths of men, women and children and would have endangered the lives of all. [p.98]
     On seeing the foundation of this mass giving way, Elders Richards, Woodruff, Pratt and others sprang to the place of danger and braced themselves against the baggage and held it for a few moments until we partially secured it, when the captain sent several sailors with ropes, who made the same fast and secure. When this was done, I repaired to the aft quarter deck with brothers Kimball, Richards, Woodruff and Smith and gazed upon the grandeur of the raging tempest and the movements of the ship for a short time. We all went below, except Elders Woodruff and Richards, who remained until a heavy sea broke over the quarter deck, which thoroughly drenched Brother Woodruff; Brother Richards was partially saved by throwing himself under the bulwarks; they then thought it best to leave, and followed our example by coming below. We did not sleep much during the night, for boxes, barrels and tins were tumbling from one end of the cabin to the other, and in the steerage 15 berths were thrown down, nine at one surge, all the men, women and children thrown together in a pile, but no lives were lost nor bones broken.
     --29--The gale has ceased; sea rough; sun shines pleasantly; a fair wind for the first time since the day of sailing. We are sailing ten knots an hour; nearly all had a good night’s rest; I was very sick and distressed in my head and stomach.
     --30--Fine breeze; sailing ten knots an hour; fears entertained that the ship was on fire, as smoke arose, but it was found to come from [p.99] the cook’s galley. Brother Woodruff, in the morning, was requested to carry the dishes to the cook for washing; he got his hands full of dishes or various kinds, and, as he stepped to the door of the galley, the ship gave a dreadful lurch and rocked until her studding sails reached the water; this unexpected heave plunged Brother Woodruff head foremost about ten feet, the whole width of the galley. The cook, in trying to save him, fell on the top of him. As this was his first introduction to the galley since he had been at sea, he begged the cook’s pardon for such an abrupt entrance and withdrew, leaving the cook with three smashed fingers to pick up his dishes at leisure, they being scatter from one end of the galley to the other. When the cook saw me, he beseeched me very earnestly, whoever I sent to the galley, for mercy’s sake never send Mr. Woodruff again, as he came nigh getting killed by him.
     May 1--Fine beautiful morning; the passengers have got over the seasickness and all seem cheerful. Fair light breeze; water smooth; nineteen pieces of canvas spread; sailing twelve knots an hour.
     --2--Strong favorable wind; cloudy; sailing twelve knots an hour. We saw a fin-back whale rise out of the water several times about twenty rods from the ship.
     --3--Morning calm; strong, fair breeze in evening; sailing twelve knots an hour.
     --4--Clear, serene morning; water almost perfectly smooth; scarcely air enough to move a sail. The captain took the names, ages and occupations of each person on board, to make a correct entry when he arrives in port. [p.100]
     --5--Warm, pleasant morning; almost a dead calm; sounded, but did not find bottom. We saw a large shoal of porpoises to the north of us. Elder Peter Maughan lost a child, six weeks old, this morning. His wife died a short time before he set sail. The body of this child was committed to the watery grave by sewing it up in canvas and tying a stone to it, sinking it in the sea on the banks of Newfoundland, latitude 42°, 25', longitude 50°, 10'. Evening chilly and foggy.
     --6--Slight breeze; sailing eight knots an hour. All the Saints on board are well, except Sister Richards, who is still feeble. We enjoy ourselves well, singing and praying with the Saints morning and evening.
     May 7--Head winds and very foggy. A storm arose in the evening from the southwest. The sails were close reefed, the heavens gathered blackness, and the sea piled up into mountains. In the midst of this a fight ensued between the cook and the Irish, which was stopped by the first mate. We had the roughest night we had experienced on the voyage; the spars and other things were afloat on the main deck.
     --8--Fair weather, but strong head winds; sea rough, shipping heavy seas.
     --9--Strong, fair wind; sailing twelve knots an hour; the coldest day on the voyage.
     --10--Fine, pleasant morning, but calm.
     --11--Strong west head winds; sailing nine knots an hour. We passed a full-rigged ship standing the same way we were. We have passed every ship we came in sight of since we left Liverpool.
     --12--Head winds; fair weather, but cool. Captain Woodhouse [p.101] proclaims land in sight, which we soon saw with the naked eye. It proved to be Cape Sable, Nova Scotia.
     --13--Dead calm, sea smooth, cloudy, head wind in the evening.
     --14--Dead calm today.
     --15--Pleasant morning, light breeze, sea smooth; saw a shoal of mackerel.
     --16--A light breeze; sailing four knots an hour. We sounded and found bottom at twenty fathoms on Nantucket shoals.
     --17--Strong head winds; we came in view of Long Island, 3 p.m., took a pilot on board at 4, who informed us that they had not heard from the “Oxford,” nor any ship which left Liverpool at the time we did, nor for several days before; he also informed us that no word had been heard of the steamship “President;” all expected she was lost.
     --18--Strong northwest wind; sailing nine knots an hour. We heard of the death of General Harrison, President of the United States.
     --19--While passing through Sandy Hook we ran into a fishing smack, came near sinking here with all on board. We had a head wind and could not run into the dock; cast anchor at 11 a.m. at the quarantine ground. A steamer came down to get the latest Liverpool news. An editor, who came on board, paid the steamer $45 to bring him out to the ship to get the latest news.
     --20--Warm, pleasant weather. We commenced early in the morning to get our luggage on deck. There was a fight between the [p.102] carpenter and second mate, which was ended by the first mate striking the carpenter with a junk bottle, and as he went to strike the second blow, I caught his arm and prevented him.
     Two quarantine lighters came alongside the Rochester and took all the passengers and baggage to the custom house, where we had to unload all the baggage, which was inspected by the officers, after which we reloaded on board the lighters, which took us to New York City.
     When we arrived at the docks, we found them covered with horses and drays and a great crowd of draymen and pickpockets, who stood ready to leap on board and devour all our baggage, and, because we were unwilling to be robbed and felt disposed to do our own business without being forced to measures by draymen, they cursed and swore at a dreadful rate, and acted more like savages than civilized men; but, after much difficulty, we got our goods out of the lighters and loaded on drays, and had to keep constant guard over them to keep them from being stolen. Many attempts were made to steal our baggage. I collared some of the thieves, and threatened to throw them overboard if they would not let it alone. I was under the necessity of striking their fingers to keep them from carrying off the trunks they laid hold of.
     We were until ten o’clock at night getting from the docks to an inn. We were all very much fatigued, for we had been constantly handling boxes, chests, barrels and trunks from sunrise til ten p.m., without eating or drinking. We took supper about midnight and laid [p.103] down to rest at the Battery Pavilion.
     --21--Brother Kimball, O. [Orson] Pratt and myself took lodgings at the house of Elder Adams.
     --23 (Sunday)--The Twelve met in council in the morning. Elders Kimball, Pratt, Woodruff and myself gave an account of our mission to England to the Saints in the Columbian Hall, Grand Street.
     --30 (Sunday)--Forenoon, attended meeting. Elder Woodruff preached. Afternoon, held a conference meeting. Evening, Elder Kimball addressed the people.
     --31-- I visited the Saints on Long Island.
     June 1--I returned to New York, and on the 4th, in company with Elders Kimball and Taylor, I left for Nauvoo, by way of Philadelphia.
     --7--Arrived in Pittsburgh.
     --12--We started on board the “Cicero.” The water being very low, we ran on a sandbar twelve miles below, and there remained all day and night. We went ashore and spent the time agreeably, having a good company with us.
     --13 (Sunday)--Remained all day on the sandbar. I went ashore. We got off the bar about half-past seven in the evening.
     --14--Spent the time agreeably.
     --15--Proceeded down the river till about 11 a.m. , when the boat stopped till about half-past twelve p.m. when we started. The condensed steam being let off, scalded a woman, her daughter, and a child by the name of Thomas. We laid up seven miles above Wheeling.
     --16--We started very early and, after proceeding about three [p.104] miles, we ran on a sand bar; got off about 4 p.m., and soon arrived at Wheeling, were we stayed all night. Captain Thomas O’Connor was very kind to us.
     --17--Proceeded on our way finely and arrived at Cincinnati on Sunday morning, the 20th. We went ashore and found several brethren. We went on board the “Mermaid” for St. Louis, and arrived in Louisville on the 22nd, at 6 p.m., where we remained all night and started at noon on the 23rd, and arrived at the mouth of the Ohio on Saturday the 26th.
     July 1--We arrived in Nauvoo, and were cordially welcomed by the Prophet Joseph, our families and the Saints.
     --9--President Smith called on me at my house, when he received the following revelation:
Dear and well-beloved Brother Brigham Young, verily thus saith the Lord unto you, my servant Brigham, it is no more required at your hand to leave your family as in times past, for your offering is acceptable to me; I have seen your labor and toil in journeyings for my name. I therefore command you to send my word abroad, and take special care of your family from this time, henceforth, and forever, Amen. . . . [p.105]
BIB:     Young, Brigham, Manuscript History of Brigham Young, 1801-1844, comp. by Eldon Jay Watson (privately printed, 1968) pp. 96-105. (HDL)